St Albans Church Logo

The Font

 

One of the earliest and most valuable acquisitions by the church was the alabaster font with its oaken cover. This was a gift from the Rector and Churchwardens of St Mary-le-Bow, Cheapside, London in  1898.Font of St Albans

It was designed by Sir Christopher Wren (1631-1723), who rebuilt  St. Mary -le-Bow after the Great Fire of London.

AFont Inscriptionround the top of the bowl  can be read the ledgend: "The gift if Francis Dashwood Esq. 1675. Dashwood was a wealthy London mechant engaged in the Levantine trade. When the church of St Mary-le-Bow was restored in 1881 this font was considered too small for the renovated building and was stored in the crypt where Sir Charles Nicholson discovered it and suggested to the priest in charge of St Albans that it might be purchased for the new Parish Church. When the application was made, the Rector wrote to the Fr. E.E. Kimber intimating that his Vestry would be willing to present the disused font to St Albans Church. He also undertook to carry out the arrangements for the transport of the font to its present home